Weekly Summary: 19.9.16 – 25.9.16

by Beauchamp Art

Spurius Filiae [2]

Outside of a few other odds and ends, the primary output this week involved the updating of digital paintings. For the two older images, I adjusted the composition slightly, colour palette, and adjusted the levels of some of the atmospheric effects.

For Spurius Filiae, I expanded the background section, so the figure would not obscure such a large portion of the background, and muted the colours, moving to a more earthy selection of tones, but still maintaining some of the orange/green scheme of the earlier version, but using desaturation to add to the bleak atmosphere. However, due to the increased opacity of the gradient and texture layers, the horizon and distant city structures became considerably less visible. Nevertheless, as the polluting towers were essentially derived from those in the In Cibum Tritor painting (the style of which is now essentially the template of how I want the other images in this series to resemble), I am not overly precious about their loss in the image, and the total loss of the mountainscape behind not only draws attention to the cracked either and burnt trees of the mid ground, but also means they could potentially be recycled in another image. As this is mostly a character piece anyway, the losses of details for the sake of ambience is not especially troublesome.

Rex Lactucis [2]

In Rex Lactucis, the image was stretched vertically, so the mutant rabbits had more room within the piece, and were not being compressed by the borders of the image. Similarly to the previous piece, the addition of atmospheric effects, the increase in smoke and debris textures and general scrub, as well as moving sections of the image around; repositioning the rabbits, shifting the (now considerably more obscured) city on the horizon upwards, and increasing the scale of the overhanging dead tree. Moreover, the colour scheme was quite dramatically changed, moving towards an almost monochromatic orange palette. Despite these changes, it is still not the strongest piece I have done, and does not quite work as a final image, but it is nevertheless and improvement over the previous version, which suffered from excessive contrast and a confused colour scheme.

Ragged Knight

I also made some alterations to the more recent Ragged Knight painting, adjusting the opacity of some layers and modifying the figure; increasing the length of the lower half of his torn skirt, and importantly changing the emblem on the banner, so the star has eight points, (like that of the London Metropolitan Police, with the crown-capped point supplemented for an eagle, for the Roman reference) rather than six (which would imply some connection to the Star of David which was not intended on this or any other similar pieces that are not amended).

 

Advertisements